Similar to using the Import File process in C4, Core provides MS Project users with a C4 Plugin that they can install on their computers. Please contact us at C4@bycore.com if you would like access to the C4 Plugin for MS Project. We’ll give you a quick demo to walk you through the installation process and how to use the C4 menu functions.
The C4 Plugin will appear as a menu option.
To get started, click on the “Settings” button. You’ll see a popup that will have a few tabs. First, the plugin will prompt you to log in to C4 using your C4 credentials.
If you don’t see that popup, click on the blue “sync” button highlighted below. You’ll get a popup to log in to C4.
Once you have logged in, make sure to select the Company and the Project that you’ll be running the C4 Sync to.
Next, click on “Field Mapping” on the left navigation so the C4 Plugin knows what fields in MS Project you’re mapping to fields in C4.
There are 3 tabs across the top when you’re viewing the mappings tab. Start with the Mappings for when you want to sync from MS Project to C4 (the first tab at the top). Complete the mapping by selecting from the drop-downs.
There are fields in C4 which do not exist in a standard MS Project file. You’ll need to insert Custom Fields and Rename them in MS Project so they match the fields in C4.
- Subcontractor (should be a Text field)
- Assignees (should be a Text field)
- Be sure to select the delimiter you want to use (refer to the section above on Assignees)
- Location (should be a Text field)
- Description (should be a Text field)
- Task Type (should be a Text field)
- Is archive (should be a Flag field)
- This is the field you’ll use to mark certain tasks in C4 as archived; after import C4 will move all the flagged tasks into the Archived task list. Those tasks should have the flag value set to Yes.
- If you don’t want to archive any tasks, leave this field mapping blank.
- Should Import (should be a Flag field)
- This is the field you’ll use to mark certain tasks in MS Project to be imported/updated in C4. Use this field mapping if you only want to import a selection of tasks to C4; those tasks should have the flag value set to Yes.
- If you want to import all tasks, then leave this field mapping blank.
Make sure you have inserted these custom columns in MSP so you can view them in your MS Project file.
When you are finished with the field mappings in the C4 Plugin, click Save to keep these field mappings. You can always go back to Settings to Edit any field mappings or add any mappings you previously skipped.
Now you are ready to run a sync to allow MS Project to create or update tasks in C4. Click on the button labeled “Sync”.
You’ll see the popup screen start loading and then display a preview of tasks (and details) which will be created or updated in C4. This is the first tab in the left navigation called MS Project > C4. In parentheses on that tab, you’ll see a number that shows the number of task rows that have changed from MS Project that will update C4.
If you don’t immediately see a preview list of tasks that have changed, click on the “Get changes” button to allow the Plugin to refresh and get information from C4.
In the preview screen, you can view highlighted rows or fields for Tasks which were previously imported and have some updates to certain fields since the last import into C4. You can use the toggle controls to show more information such as the Unique ID field or to show only the fields which have changed.
When you’re ready for the Plugin to import and create/update tasks, click on the blue “Apply” button. You’ll see a progress bar at the top to show you the status (if you have many tasks that you’re importing).
When the sync is complete and tasks have been created/updated in C4, you will see a message at the top of the screen that says “Sync Completed.”
Now, log in to C4 and you are ready to work on the Tasks in either C4 or in the App.
Assigned Workers can:
- Update Task Status to “In Progress” in the App when they start to work on the task.
- Update Completion Amounts (e.g. 75%) to show progression on In Progress tasks.
- Update Task Status to Done if they have finished the task.
- Send comments or photos about the Task in the Task Chat.
- Change Task Status to Blocked if there is an issue preventing them for finishing the task.
Foremen or Project Managers (or other users assigned to the Task) can:
- Receive Push Notifications from their app when Tasks Statuses are updated or when comments or photos are posted.
- Foremen can Assign additional Workers to Tasks (or Remove Workers who are no longer working on specific tasks).
Admin users can:
- Edit Tasks or Delete Tasks as necessary.
- Enter Actual Start / Actual Finish Dates so these data values can be synced back to external project files for schedule adjustments.