Similar to using the Import File process in Crews by Core PRO, Core provides MS Project users with a Crews by Core PRO Plugin that they can install on their computers. Please contact us at Crews by Core PRO@bycore.com if you would like access to the Crews by Core PRO Plugin for MS Project. We’ll give you a quick demo to walk you through the installation process and how to use the Crews by Core PRO menu functions.
The Crews by Core PRO Plugin will appear as a menu option.
To get started, click on the “Settings” button. You’ll see a popup that will have a few tabs. First, the plugin will prompt you to log in to Crews by Core PRO using your Crews by Core PRO credentials.
If you don’t see that popup, click on the blue “sync” button highlighted below. You’ll get a popup to log in to Crews by Core PRO.
Once you have logged in, make sure to select the Company and the Project that you’ll be running the Crews by Core PRO Sync to.
Next, click on “Field Mapping” on the left navigation so the Crews by Core PRO Plugin knows what fields in MS Project you’re mapping to fields in Crews by Core PRO.
There are 3 tabs across the top when you’re viewing the mappings tab. Start with the Mappings for when you want to sync from MS Project to Crews by Core PRO (the first tab at the top). Complete the mapping by selecting from the drop-downs.
There are fields in Crews by Core PRO which do not exist in a standard MS Project file. You’ll need to insert Custom Fields and Rename them in MS Project so they match the fields in Crews by Core PRO.
- Subcontractor (should be a Text field)
- Assignees (should be a Text field)
- Be sure to select the delimiter you want to use (refer to the section above on Assignees)
- Location (should be a Text field)
- Description (should be a Text field)
- Action Type (should be a Text field)
- Is archive (should be a Flag field)
- This is the field you’ll use to mark certain Actions in Crews by Core PRO as archived; after import Crews by Core PRO will move all the flagged Actions into the Archived Action list. Those Actions should have the flag value set to Yes.
- If you don’t want to archive any Actions, leave this field mapping blank.
- Should Import (should be a Flag field)
- This is the field you’ll use to mark certain Actions in MS Project to be imported/updated in Crews by Core PRO. Use this field mapping if you only want to import a selection of Actions to Crews by Core PRO; those Actions should have the flag value set to Yes.
- If you want to import all Actions, then leave this field mapping blank.
Make sure you have inserted these custom columns in MSP so you can view them in your MS Project file.
When you are finished with the field mappings in the Crews by Core PRO Plugin, click Save to keep these field mappings. You can always go back to Settings to Edit any field mappings or add any mappings you previously skipped.
Now you are ready to run a sync to allow MS Project to create or update Actions in Crews by Core PRO. Click on the button labeled “Sync”.
You’ll see the popup screen start loading and then display a preview of Actions (and details) which will be created or updated in Crews by Core PRO. This is the first tab in the left navigation called MS Project > Crews by Core PRO. In parentheses on that tab, you’ll see a number that shows the number of Action rows that have changed from MS Project that will update Crews by Core PRO.
If you don’t immediately see a preview list of Actions that have changed, click on the “Get changes” button to allow the Plugin to refresh and get information from Crews by Core PRO.
In the preview screen, you can view highlighted rows or fields for Actions which were previously imported and have some updates to certain fields since the last import into Crews by Core PRO. You can use the toggle controls to show more information such as the Unique ID field or to show only the fields which have changed.
When you’re ready for the Plugin to import and create/update Actions, click on the blue “Apply” button. You’ll see a progress bar at the top to show you the status (if you have many Actions that you’re importing).
When the sync is complete and Actions have been created/updated in Crews by Core PRO, you will see a message at the top of the screen that says “Sync Completed.”
Now, log in to Crews by Core PRO and you are ready to work on the Actions in either Crews by Core PRO or in the App.
Assigned Workers can:
- Update Action Status to “In Progress” in the App when they start to work on the Action.
- Update Completion Amounts (e.g. 75%) to show progression on In Progress Actions.
- Update Action Status to Done if they have finished the Action.
- Send comments or photos about the Action in the Action Chat.
- Change Action Status to Blocked if there is an issue preventing them from finishing the Action.
Foremen or Project Managers (or other users assigned to the Action) can:
- Receive Push Notifications from their app when Actions Statuses are updated or when comments or photos are posted.
- Foremen can Assign additional Workers to Actions (or Remove Workers who are no longer working on specific Actions).
Admin users can:
- Edit Actions or Delete Actions as necessary.
- Enter Actual Start / Actual Finish Dates so these data values can be synced back to external project files for schedule adjustments.